Macrosoft is a leader in providing professional technical services for both ongoing support of Visual FoxPro applications and migration to modern technology platforms. As a result of this expertise, Macrosoft conducted 2nd Annual VFP applications and industry best practices survey during April 2022. 278 individuals participated in the 19-question online survey. Based on the broad participation it is believed that the results are highly accurate and represent a significant portion of the industry.
Survey results show an industry in flux, with sharp opinion differences concerning the role of VFP applications in the present technology world.
From the very beginning of its life, VFP has always had its strong proponents because of its tremendous power and flexibility as an application programming language. Even now 20 years later, facing significant end-of-life challenges, and with other key technologies moving forward around it, we still see in survey results participants who view VFP as the language/platform of choice.
Macrosoft plans to conduct this survey on an annual basis, which will bring new context to the responses as we see how the survey responses evolve over time.
Select Survey Findings
- A total of 77% of respondents indicate their application is used externally by clients or by both internal and external clients. 23% indicate the application is used entirely in-house. Compared to last year an increase of 8% has happened in the usage of Application.
- The survey posed seven top reasons or impediments preventing companies from modernizing their Visual FoxPro application. Survey results show the leading reason to the often-extended time to do it with 51% of respondents saying that is either a big or the biggest issue preventing them from starting.
- Participants were asked what their ideal target development platform is for a newly migrated application and the top choices are:
- Microsoft .NET – 41%
- Java – 18%
- Open-source solution – 17%
- 69% of respondents cited that their application is mid-sized (50,000 – 5,00,000) in terms of Lines of codes.
- 65% of participants felt to complete the migration in less than a year time
- About half of the respondents identified the cause to begin a Migration/ Modernizations as
- Enhancements needed
- To ensure long term viability
The complete report downloads, and an interactive reporting portal can be found at https://www.migrateto.net/2022-vfp-survey-report/
Macrosoft is available to provide an industry expert who can present these results as requested to industry user groups.
Direct Questions about this survey and request for speaking engagements to
COO, Macrosoft, Inc.